skip to main | skip to sidebar

Mini Manor Blog

    Monday, March 25, 2013

    Barefoot Contessa Wrap Up

    We had a great Barefoot Contessa week last week. I made at least one Barefoot Contessa recipe each day . . .
    • We made her Roasted Shrimp Cocktail from her Back to Basics Cookbook (pg.38). I will never again boil shrimp. Roasting shrimp in the oven is so easy, 400 degree oven, sheet pan, a little salt and pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, 5 minutes and you have perfectly cooked shrimp! We also followed her cocktail sauce recipe and it was delicious! Roasting shrimp is definitely the way to go! 
    • I made her Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette recipe with a green salad . . . It's from her Family Style Cookbook (pg.42). MAKE THIS DRESSING!!! It calls for a raw egg yolk which I was a little leery of . . . but it was so delicious. This will definitely be a staple in our house! 
    •  From her How Easy is That? Cookbook, I made her Ricotta Cheese! It was so much fun to make I will share the whole process later this week! I made the Ricotta for our Vegetarian Lasagna recipe, it was really yummy and easy to make.
    • A few of you (our readers) suggested Ina's Lemon Chicken . . . it did not disappoint. It was delicious! It was really great the next day cold, chopped up in a salad! 
    • From Foolproof Cookbook we made Straw and Hay with Gorgonzola . . . turns out I don't like gorgonzola cheese. So this recipe was a bust for me, Lee wasn't thrilled with it either. If you like gorgonzola cheese maybe this will be more to your taste. 
    • Lastly, and our favorite recipe we made Roasted Shrimp and Orzo. You would have to like dill and lemon . . . errrrrr and shrimp, but if you do like those things this recipe makes a great lunch!!! 
    Kosher salt
    Good olive oil
    3/4 pound orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 pounds (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
    1 cup chopped fresh dill
    1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
    1/2 cup small-diced red onion 
    1 red pepper
    3/4 pound good feta cheese, large diced

    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

    Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.

    Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!

    Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.


    I thought an entire week of Barefoot Contessa recipes would be enough . . . . but I have another entire week's worth of recipes I still want to try. So looks like we'll be carrying Barefoot Contessa week into this week!!! 
    Menu Plan for this week: 
    • Tomato and Goat Cheese Tarts (with homemade goat cheese)
    • French Apple Tart
    • Lobster and Shells
    • Roasted Shrimp with Feta
    • Winter Minestrone Soup
    • And maybe Tuscan White Beans
    Checking out Ina's Cookbooks from the library has been a great way to add some great new recipes to our personal list of recipes. I think this might become a regular thing . . . picking a chef, checking out their cookbooks from the library and planning a week of meals around them!
    Posted by Maillardville Manor at 4:00 AM
    Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
    Labels: Recipe: Fish

    7 comments:

    1. Furniture-OlogyMarch 25, 2013 at 5:48 AM

      We love Gorgonzola cheese :) I make a salad with tomatoes (red & yellow) , red onions, fresh basil, Gorgonzola cheese, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Delicious! So I'm excited to try the straw and hay recipe :) Thanks and Happy Blogging!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    2. Our Zanger- LaMarch 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM

      Great post! I am currently trying to be better about meal planning for the week. My go to girl right now is Pioneer Woman but I think I will try Ina next, thanks.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    3. AnonymousMarch 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM

      One of our favorite family dinners is Ina's clam chowder (in the orange cookbook - I think family style). We also love her meatloaf and parmesan mashed potatoes in the yellow book.
      I'm a big Ina fan and own most of the cookbooks. I do like owning them because I can make notations in the books.

      Kristina

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    4. Lauren @ Rustic HoneyMarch 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM

      I will definitely have to make this one! I absolutely love shrimp and orzo. This recipe looks so fresh, perfect for spring!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    5. Barbara March 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM

      Someone may have already said this, but I am reminded of Julie and Julia! And I've been thinking of trying recipes from my grandmother's cookbook from 1946. Fun!

      http://northislandcottage.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    6. Tracey Ayton PhotographyMarch 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM

      Hands down Ina is the best cook around and she's got a fabulous house too! The Barefoot is the only set of books that I pick up and cook with most of the time ....... and I don't cook!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    7. UnknownMarch 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM

      Roasting the shrimp is genius! I think I might actually try this recipe. It seems like something quick & easy to whip up for a weeknight meal. Thanks for the inspiration! By the way, I think focusing on one chef per week is a great idea. I'd surely tune in every week to read about it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    Add comment
    Load more...

    Home
    Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Advertise with IZEA Media

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner



    stacey ann
    ~ ~ ~ ~ Open Floor Plan ~ ~ ~ ~
    For more Orthopaedic Mattresses
    ~~~~~Visit this website~~~~

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     


    Also Featured Here!

    Promotional Codes

    • Shop Top Brands
      • Murad Coupons
      • Aliexpress
      • Pottery Barn Coupon Code
      • etnies Online Coupons
      • Famous Footwear

    • ►  2014 (7)
      • March (7)
    • ▼  2013 (99)
      • December (1)
      • November (2)
      • October (6)
      • August (4)
      • July (5)
      • June (9)
      • May (14)
      • April (19)
      • March (13)
      • February (13)
      • January (13)
    • ►  2012 (215)
      • December (14)
      • November (13)
      • October (18)
      • September (16)
      • August (17)
      • July (20)
      • June (20)
      • May (20)
      • April (18)
      • March (21)
      • February (19)
      • January (19)
    • ►  2011 (229)
      • December (11)
      • November (16)
      • October (18)
      • September (18)
      • August (22)
      • July (23)
      • June (16)
      • May (20)
      • April (20)
      • March (29)
      • February (19)
      • January (17)
    • ►  2010 (155)
      • December (17)
      • November (8)
      • October (13)
      • September (27)
      • August (24)
      • July (26)
      • June (40)

     

    • Breakfast
    • Lunch
    • Dinner
    • Beef
    • Chicken
    • Pork
    • Fish
    • Vegetarian
    • Dessert
    • Kitchen
    • Living
    • Office
    • Bedroom
    • Bathroom
    • Laundry
    • Garage
    • Flowers
    • Lawn
    • Vegetables
    • Valentine's
    • St. Patrick's
    • Easter
    • Thanksgiving
    • Halloween
    • Christmas
    • New Year's