skip to main | skip to sidebar

Mini Manor Blog

    Wednesday, January 25, 2012

    Book Review: The Hip Girls Guide to Homemaking

    I finished Kate Payne's book 'The Hip Girls Guide to Homemaking'.


    So far on Mini Manor I have only reviewed books that I loved! This wasn't one of them.
    I think it was more of a case of a mismatched reader . . . ME.

    The book was VERY beginner! Like ,'you've never seen a kitchen before', beginner.
    Also,
    I just don't think that Kate and I share the same sense of style and comfort. The idea of mismatched/chipped dinner plates gives me anxiety. And the thought of hanging ziploc bags around my kitchen with clothespins makes me want to cry and I would never buy used/stained linens.

    In general I found the whole book way too beginner . . . and most of the tips and tricks are just plain common sense.

    This book MIGHT be appropriate for someone who just rented their first apartment. I found a lot of the advice to be fairly "college" (if that makes sense) so it could make a good gift for the newly graduated. But if many moons have passed since you moved out of mom and dad's house, I would definitely take a pass on this book.

    Sorry The Hip Girls Guide to Homemaking doesn't get the Mini Manor stamp of approval (Clearly one of the most coveted literary prizes there is!  ;)
    Posted by Maillardville Manor at 4:00 AM
    Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
    Labels: Books to Read

    14 comments:

    1. Simply LKJJanuary 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM

      Hadn't seen that one yet, but from the likes of what you said it's about, I probably would have passed on it anyhow!! Your book reviews are always spot on.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    2. RachaelJanuary 25, 2012 at 5:18 AM

      How funny, I'm reading that book right now and I was literally just saying how I was kind of dissapointed at how beginner it was. Although there are some helpful hints here and there I have to agree with you it seems more appropriate for someone in college.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    3. AubreyJanuary 25, 2012 at 9:57 AM

      I am so glad you reviewed this book. I kept looking at it when I was in chapters.(I think it was because I really liked the cover) But now I don't have to worry that I am missing out on some great book.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    4. AnonymousJanuary 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM

      Good to know its not worth buying!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    5. SusanJanuary 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM

      Thanks for the review. It was so helpful!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    6. NatalieJanuary 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM

      I like your descriptor of it being so "college"! Ha. I think I would probably share your sentiments, especially about the baggies hung by clothes pins in the kitchen - huh? WHY would anyone do that?! Thanks for the review!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    7. Mrs. WJanuary 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM

      I got this book and was so excited. I haven't read it cover to cover but have been skimming through and have come to the same conclusion. Such a great idea. Perhaps you should write a more mature verison for newlyweds?!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    8. KelseyJanuary 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM

      All right, I am very intrigued about the ziploc baggies on clothespins...lol Can you explain? :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Laura Jane @ Recovering ChocoholicJanuary 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM

        LOL, I was also wondering about the ziploc baggies. I was almost rolling on the floor laughing picturing a kitchen with ziploc bags hanging randomly all over the place.

        Delete
        Replies
          Reply
      2. Nicole LisaJanuary 26, 2012 at 5:29 AM

        This comment has been removed by the author.

        Delete
        Replies
          Reply
      3. Reply
    9. Tracey Ayton PhotographyJanuary 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

      Oh that's too bad. Thanks for the heads up! Baggies hanging? Whaaaaaa?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    10. Maillardville ManorJanuary 25, 2012 at 7:13 PM

      haha The clothes pins and Ziploc bags was about when you reuse your ziploc bags (also something I probably won't do) she would use clothespins to hand the wet ziploc bags around the kitchen to dry!!
      I hope that answered your questions!!
      ~Ashli

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    11. SarahJanuary 25, 2012 at 10:43 PM

      I totally agree! I couldn't even finish reading this book.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    12. CaitlinJanuary 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM

      Thanks for sharing... good to know. This looks like the kind of book I would have grabbed!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
        Reply
    Add comment
    Load more...

    Home
    Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Advertise with IZEA Media

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner



    stacey ann
    ~ ~ ~ ~ Open Floor Plan ~ ~ ~ ~
    For more Orthopaedic Mattresses
    ~~~~~Visit this website~~~~

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     


    Also Featured Here!

    Promotional Codes

    • Shop Top Brands
      • Murad Coupons
      • Aliexpress
      • Pottery Barn Coupon Code
      • etnies Online Coupons
      • Famous Footwear

    • ►  2014 (7)
      • March (7)
    • ►  2013 (99)
      • December (1)
      • November (2)
      • October (6)
      • August (4)
      • July (5)
      • June (9)
      • May (14)
      • April (19)
      • March (13)
      • February (13)
      • January (13)
    • ▼  2012 (215)
      • December (14)
      • November (13)
      • October (18)
      • September (16)
      • August (17)
      • July (20)
      • June (20)
      • May (20)
      • April (18)
      • March (21)
      • February (19)
      • January (19)
    • ►  2011 (229)
      • December (11)
      • November (16)
      • October (18)
      • September (18)
      • August (22)
      • July (23)
      • June (16)
      • May (20)
      • April (20)
      • March (29)
      • February (19)
      • January (17)
    • ►  2010 (155)
      • December (17)
      • November (8)
      • October (13)
      • September (27)
      • August (24)
      • July (26)
      • June (40)

     

    • Breakfast
    • Lunch
    • Dinner
    • Beef
    • Chicken
    • Pork
    • Fish
    • Vegetarian
    • Dessert
    • Kitchen
    • Living
    • Office
    • Bedroom
    • Bathroom
    • Laundry
    • Garage
    • Flowers
    • Lawn
    • Vegetables
    • Valentine's
    • St. Patrick's
    • Easter
    • Thanksgiving
    • Halloween
    • Christmas
    • New Year's